What does the Apollo Academy retreat look like?
Past retreats have focused on Mendelssohn, Schumann and Brahms (2018) and Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven (2017). The 2019 retreat will focus on Franz Schubert, with an expanded faculty. Registration is open; download an application here.
Playing participants enjoy the opportunity to workshop and perform selected pieces within their quartets, and also engage in chamber music reading sessions with Apollo Academy musical staff. The “dinner concert” series is an entertaining and informative performance collaboration: eminent music historian Robert Greenberg will contextualize Schubert’s work historically and musically, and the musicians will render the passages he refers to (and then perform the piece in its entirety). For the 2019 retreat, the Alexander String Quartet will be joined by mezzo soprano Kindra Scharich and pianist Jeffrey LaDeur. Photos below show:• participants rehearsing with guidance from the Alexander String Quartet
• non-playing participants exploring nearby Salt Point State Park
• yoga class in Ratna Ling’s Meditation Hall
• one of the varied and delicious meals prepared by Ratna Ling staff
• ASQ and Robert Greenberg in the evening “dinner concert” series
• a group portrait of staff, musicians and enthusiastic listeners!